Billed as the world’s largest professional network on the internet, LinkedIn is a social networking website for business people and company profiles. Founded in December 2002 and launched on May 5, 2003, LinkedIn has surpassed more than 364 members worldwide as of 2015 but they have a stated goal “to reach 3 billion profiles and a complete economic map of the world’s companies and workers in the long-term future.”
Their strategy going forward is heavily reliant on mobile. In 2013 LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner made some bold claims about his company’s quest to become a more modern, more mobile service. The reasoning is clear. According to Weiner “LinkedIn mobile users are 2.5 times more active and engaged than desktop users” and as mobile capability and consumer utilization trends continue to scale, mobile is where it’s at.
LinkedIn’s business mission is to create value for members and customers through…
- Talent Solutions
- Marketing Solutions
- Premium Subscriptions
Its corporate talent solutions are used by 91 of the Fortune 100 companies. Following are a few other stats that may need some further vetting to be current but the popularity and the usefulness of LinkedIn as a means of expanding your business web presence is obvious.
- Executives from all 2013 Fortune 500 companies are members
- 1.2 Million products/service showcased on Company Pages
- Over 30 million students and recent college graduates
- 10 Millions of endorsements are given every single day
- 27% of LinkedIn traffic comes from mobiles
- 39% of LinkedIn users have paid premium
- Almost 100 Million Users login every day
- 3 Million+ Company Pages
- 2 Million+ Groups